2008年5月18日星期日

Commencement ceremony, UIUC, May, 2008

From left, Chancellor Herman, Wife Yuhsien Yang, Dr. Zhaoyu Wang, President White
On May 11, Yuhsien and I went back to Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, to attend the Commencement Ceremony. The Ph.D. study in Engineering in the University of Illinois is demanding, tough, and also a rewarding journey. Here I should extend special thanks to my wife, Yuhsien Yang, for her continuous and endless support and understanding. Yuhsien accompanied me through the demanding five years in Urbana-Champaign. She is a great wife and special woman. Without her, I don't believe that I can get through the grilling process of Ph.D. study. The presence of her always makes me believe we have a better tomorrow yet to come. Yuhsien always encourages me to keep motivating and challenging myself to push myself harder. She makes me believe that only the sky is my limit and nothing is impossible. With Yuhsien by side, I always believe next goal is just there to shoot.
I also owe great thanks to my parents who live in China, tens of thousand miles away from me. My father was born in a small business owner family with its fortune almost lost completely when he was a kid. My father was smart and hard working. However, because of the special political turmoil in 1950's China, he lost the opportunity to receive more advanced education. He had to make a tough living out of a small pitch of farming land in south eastern China. My mother was born in a poor family and she almost did not get any formal education. By witnessing the political turmoil in 1950's and 1960's China and getting through the tough live in a small rural village, my parents believe good education can change the destiny of their children. They work hard to support me and my old brother to receive the best education they can provide. They encourage me to reach my next level of achievement. Mom and dad, I miss you very much. I hope to see you two soon.
I dedicated my Ph.D. degree to my wife, Yuhsien Yang, and to my parents.

Chancellor's Wife, Dr. Zhaoyu Wang

From left, Dr. Zhaoyu Wang, Yuhsien Yang, Sue, Tom

The study life in Urbana-Champaign is tough, but I also make good friends there. I got to know Tom in a leadership program where he served as the group facilitator. I remember the topic I discussed with him keenly is what is influence. Sue is Tom's wife, a lawyer works for local community as a volunteer. What inspired me most by Sue and Tom is that they came back to the University of Illinois to get their advanced degrees in their mid 40's, a J.D. for Sue and a Ph.D. in Education for Tom. It is really never too old to learn. They are the examples of endless learning. To learn is fun.

没有评论: